Friday, June 28, 2013

An Intriguing Museum Visit, 2

As mentioned previously, a friend from the States came to visit and we went to the Carthage Museum. After wandering around the ruins we went into the building where we thought we would find an exhibit, however, it had ended. As nobody was there and the door was open, we poked around and found the exhibit had not yet been removed. I looked at some interesting Roman items, took some pictures and then noticed a group of amazing antique chests at the end of the room...hardly Roman.
I find decorative painting interesting, especially in this part of the world, and I see that the tole painting that my mother produced shares certain basic principles.
Sometimes I don't pay attention to the signs 
because the work demands unmitigated admiration.
 These two chests appear to be by the same artisan. 
Then I looked at the sign--curiouser and curiouser. The chests dated from the 18th-19th centuries and orignated in Genoa, Italy.
This rooster caught my eye--the contrast between the dark background and white elements is striking.
Even the inside of the lids were painted.
This lid pleases me because of the intricacies of the design.
 
And then there was an interesting nailed design.

My favorite chest, probably because of the pinks and warm colors.


While my friend continued to study the Roman items, I went back to the beginning. And then, suddenly this Chinese horse made me gasp: standing about two feet tall and three feet wide, it was entirely made in JADE ! Dating from the 19th century, I wondered what this piece was doing in this collection and then I paid attention to the sign.

No, then I really paid attention to the sign and gasped again. Understanding hit me--this was an exhibit of a few of the precious objects recovered from the homes of the ex-dictator and his family. I went back to the chests. Sure enough, they were from the Hammamet palace of one of the dictator's sons-in-law. 


Suddenly, this museum visit became really intriguing...

10 comments:

Els said...

What an intriguing museum visit indeed Nadia ! Lovely/beautiful items !!!
Ohhhh I totally missed your "swap" of the White Piece and the GORGEOUS birthday cake !!!!!! So anyone really has his/her special talents !!
Have a good weekend Nadia.

Donna~~ said...

Love learning and/or seeing a bit of the world via your posts! Those trunks do look like tole painting!

Nifty Quilts said...

VERY intriguing! Thanks for sharing the treasures.

Rachaeldaisy said...

These items are all so beautiful. What a wonderful exhibit to come across.

Merilyn said...

Incredible pieces, their age is mindblowing, their condition still vibrant to the eye, and now they can be enjoyed buy all.....

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

How very neat! And how fitting that the people are actually getting to enjoy these beautiful works of art.

Carli The Quilter said...

Nadia, how interesting a post this has been and leaves me wondering what other information you'll learn of this former dictator?
Great post for this rainy day here in the Bulkley Valley of B.C.
Carli

Janet M. Atwill said...

How wonderful to see these chests again. (Yes, I was more interested in the objects from antiquity.) I wonder if the chests were stenciled? Thanks for sharing these!!!

ferne said...

I use to do tole painting and was surprised by the age of these chests. So many of the same techniques are still used today like the roses for example.

Browndirtcottage said...

Oh My Goodness!! Those chests would make FABULOUS appliqué quilts wouldn't they!!!