Monday, October 28, 2013

A Gift

Thanks to a beautiful, warm Indian summer, garage cleanup/clean-out continues to occupy me as I attempt to find uses for everything and downsize. 

The underlying idea, of course, is to not accumulate anything new, either. However, a horse's head in an antique store caught my eye. It originated in Germany and was made around a hundred years ago.

When a friend wanted to present me with a gift, she knew what I liked. I thought a spot outside in the garden would show off the horse's head, so I let it sit in the sun for a few days to see how it held up. Bad place; it seemed more fragile than I realized at first because of the repairs that had been done on it. Having a healthy respect for finely crafted, old things (including my husband), I added it to my copper collection, where it is in good company.


Since the walls are cement, my husband kindly drilled two holes to screw it onto the wall.



The artisan in me wants to paint it black to return it to it's original glory, however, the patina of age seems lovely as well.
And so the collection grows. I admire it every day...

6 comments:

Cate Rose said...

What a beautiful collection it is, Nadia!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

What a treasure that horse's head is! And it looks quite at home there in your collection.

Carole Reid said...

Keep the patina and enjoy!

Merilyn said...

I love the natural patina of the horse's head as well, and a beautiful collection is growing!!!
I've just been catching up with your last couple of posts, what a mess with little end in sight, no wonder some people risk their lives in boats seeking some semblence of safety and normalcy elsewhere, so sad and yet so avoidable!!!!!

Carol said...

You know your old pieces lose some of their value and charm when we clean and or paint over the years of patina accumulated. You didn't ask, but I like the horse as he is.

Carol Sloan said...

The old gorse is beautiful! I love the patina as well. I've read a few posts and think that your copper collection would be a great sketching still life...