Monday, December 21, 2015

Merry, Merry, 2015

My 8-year-old granddaughter appreciates elves. She has a collection of six or seven. Having grown up in the 60s, my favorite is Uncle Si who is a hippy elf. He has a ponytail and consequently got into my sketchbook last summer.
He's a sort of grouchy/merry fellow--> 


My sketching buddy has a wonderful collection of tree ornaments. Yesterday, I picked one and sketched it, experimenting with the Derwent Inktense pencils on fabric for my textile sketchbook.

<--Before activating with water.


                          After water-->
Magic! Just love those intense colors, which are now permanent.
There is obviously a learning curve here. More experimenting ahead. The major problem is the bleeding of the ink. I don't mind it, but I'd like to figure out how to control it. 
I'm told that this is a Christmas fairy (not to be confused with Santa), which is obvious by the wings.

I added details, outlining, and lettering with permanent pens. Now you may say, "Nadia, why not just do this on paper?" Hmmm, well, yes. I'm still in the experimental stage and having so much fun.

And so, wishing all my virtual friends a 
Happy Holiday Season!

9 comments:

Ms. said...

She's CHARMING
Ring in the Solstice LIGHT and Blessed Be to Thee and Thine

Magpie's Mumblings said...

What fun! I love your wee Santa - you could easily make him into an ornament if you wanted to. Merry Christmas wishes to you and yours Nadia.

Unknown said...

Hmmm ... I was originally thinking you could use Elmer's school glue as a mask. I use it for basting in my quilts all the time. But then I realized that could be pretty dicey with the Inktense pencils when you went to wash out the glue. Then I thought about using beeswax, like in batik, and then ironing it out. I bet that could be really cool!

Happiest holiday blessings to you and yours!

~ Chris Willis

big mamabird said...

A wonderful blogger and art teacher is posting videos from one of her classes for a seasonal gift...she uses inktense pencils on cloth! Do check her out...

http://sharonscloth.blogspot.com/

She has a little list of the class videos on the left side...
Happy holidays from Carroll in a very mild Vermont winter!

Unknown said...

Try aloe very gel, the clear kind, not the green stuff instead of water. Wet the fabric with the aloe vera gel and then use your pencil instead of the reverse. You might be please with the results.

The Idaho Beauty said...

You can also try moistening the pencil in water first, then drawing. That way you see the bright color right away and I think it will solve the bleeding problem. I've not tried the aloe vera thing yet but did try gel medium I think. I didn't like the way it made the fabric stiff. But now I have to run off and look at those videos!

Norma Schlager said...

I love your Santa fairy.
Merry Christas!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Those pencils are a lot of fun. I haven't played with mine in years. I like your Christmas fairy. Looks pretty well perfect to me! Merry Christmas!

Unknown said...

Every man wants to perform at his best every time in the bedroom. When your performance is lacking just once, everything goes downhill. You lose your confidence, erection, and ability to satisfy your partner all in one blow. But with the Testo Xp 360 Male Enhancement Pills, you can gain your abilities back easier and faster than ever. These powerful performance pills help you gain extra testosterone to counteract erectile dysfunction, performance anxiety, or any other bedroom issue you may be having. And the best part is that it uses NATURAL ingredients to work. So, keep reading our Testo XP 360 Review to find out just how these pills can enhance performances. Otherwise, click the banner below to see if you can claim a FREE TRIAL OFFER of the top selling supplement before the offer expires or supplies sell out!
https://supplementarmy.com/testo-xp-360/